During the French annexation (1811–1813) in the wake of the Napoleonic war against Britain, it was also known as Le Vieux-Bourg in French.

The city is situated at the Rivers Hunte and Haaren, in the northwestern region between the cities of Bremen in the east and Groningen (Netherlands) in the west. Oldenburg is part of the Bremen/Oldenburg Metropolitan Region, with 2.37 million people.

There are farms near and even a few within city limits.

internet dating Bottrop-68

The Turritellenplatte of Ermingen ("Erminger Turritellenplatte") is a famous palaeontological site of Burdigalian age.

On the right (south-eastern) side of Danube and Iller there is the Bavarian district town Neu-Ulm.

South of the Danube, plains and hills finally end in the northern edge of the Alps, which are approximately 100 kilometres (62 miles) from Ulm and are visible from the city on clear days.

The city of Ulm is situated in the northern part of the North Alpine Foreland basin, where the basin reaches the Swabian Alb.

The British military government of the Oldenburg region resided in the city.

Several displaced persons camps were set up in the city that had suffered only 1.4% destruction during the bombing campaigns of World War II.

The city, whose population is estimated at almost 120,000 (2015), forms an urban district of its own (German: ).

Today, it is an economic centre due to its varied industries, and it is the seat of the University of Ulm.

The Danish kings, who were also counts of Oldenburg at the time, were not much interested in the condition of the town and it lost most of its former importance. It was only then that the destroyed buildings in the city were rebuilt in a neoclassicist style.